The Galaxy search engine and the directory search within Galaxy can be called from other places.
CevApps sites, such as this one, have a mecanism to integrate external search into the search box.
How Galaxy and Directory search work
A Galaxy search can be called using the URL https://galaxy.ceva.com/fre/exalead/search?n=galaxy_global&q=feliway
- n=galaxy_global tells the search appliance to search within Galaxy
- q=feliway tells the search appliance the search keywords
- ? is the separator between the search appliance address and the parameters
- & is the separator between the parameters sent to the search appliance
Identically, searching in the directory is performed using the URL https://galaxy.ceva.com/fre/exalead/search?n=galaxy_directory&q=tricot
- n=galaxy_directory tells the search appliance to search within the Galaxy directory
How to integrate this search to your site
Clcik the Configure search options...
menu entry within the above search combo-box.
Click on the Configure search
button to get following screen:
On the Advanced
tab, click on Add Search Provider
and you will get following screen:
- select the type "Google Search Appliance" in the Type field,
- into "Google Search Appliance Url", enter the URL https://galaxy.ceva.com/fre/exalead/search?n=galaxy_global for Galaxy search and the link https://galaxy.ceva.com/fre/exalead/search?n=galaxy_directory for the directory.
- enter the "Name" that will appear in the Search box.
How to integrate other external search engine
The tip we just described works for all search engines that use the parameter q=KEYWORD to perform a search.
Just test the website search engine you would like to use performing a search, if it uses q=KEYWORD in the URL given address bar, then just remove this part from the URL and it works.
How to create a custom search on competitors web sites
Google provides a service called Google Custom Search. Such a search may limited to a list of web sites you provide and is then a dedicated search on this websites.
As an example, I created a dedicated search on our Top 9 competitors.
The result is available here :
It is also available through the top search-box within this site (at the moment). To integrate it into your CevApps site, just copy its URL and follow the process I just described, but choose 'Google Custom Search' in the Type field
First go to http://www.google.com/cse
. You should be logged with a Google account to be able to create a CSE.
Enter the list of web sites you want to search on, click on the Next button, test your search engine and that's it.
Copy its URL to put it into your CevApps site search configuration