posted Apr 27, 2011, 12:46 PM by Francois Tricot
updated Apr 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
When we had to renew our contract with a telecom operator in France, there was not really a good Android device on the market. We tested some of them at this time, and they were more like toys.
We also tested iPhone and Blackberry, and we finally went to Blackberry for the following reasons :
- Battery life : about one day with iPhone and 3 days with Blackberry
- Virtual keyboard versus physical keyboard. For some addicts to SMS or using Blackberry as their main email system, it makes a huge productivity difference
- Much cheaper international roaming costs, as the Blackberry device is generally used only for emails and is much more efficient in compression of data compared to iPhone or Android. With these ones, one can spend 500 Euros in a week just because the device calls the network all the time without even using it. On Android, I personally disable roaming completely when abroad. I use free hotel wifi connections.
I personally use both Blackberry 9700 and a Samsung Galaxy under Android that Google gave me. I really appreciate the Blackberry small size, excellent battery life and keyboard, however I need (want ?) a device with more integration with CevApps.
I upgraded the Blackberry operating system to version 6, it gave the 9700 a nicer look.
I upgraded the Samsung Galaxy to Android 2.2, it gave the GT-I9000 plenty of new features.
I definitely prefer the Android device, specially because the applications are really fantastic and they are completely in sync with our CevApps account.
These are my favorites from Google :
GmailThe Gmail app: push, sync, conversations, integration, search, and more. The dedicated Gmail application integrated with Contacts and Android
* Email pushed automatically to your phone* Stars, labels, and many other features
* Search all your messages
* Access synched messages when off line
* View messages by conversation
* Multiple Gmail accounts
Google search appGoogle Search app for Android: the fastest way to search the web and your phone.
Search the web and your phone with the official Google Search app. Get phone search results plus query and web site suggestions as you type, and instant results for weather, stock quotes, local businesses, and more!
Google AuthenticatorGoogle Authenticator creates two-step verification codes on your phone.
Google Authenticator works with 2-step verification for your account to provide an additional layer of security.
Features:To use this app, you need to enable 2-step verification on your Google Account. Which I did. This makes my account very secure.
* Automatic setup via QR code
* Support for multiple accounts
* Time and counter based code generation
Google Apps Device PolicyAllows CevApps domain admin to set security policies for your Android device
Google Apps Device Policy is a device administration tool that allows administrators to set security policies for Android devices. This app will allow your Android device to comply with the security policies set by your admin.
Google Apps LookupUsers can now find any user in Ceva
Lookup allows users to find and contact any user in their corporate domain. Users can type or speak name, domain alias (e.g., jdoe) or email address, and Lookup will find the contact information for the user from the Global Address List and provide rich, structured contact data. Users can tap to contact the person via email, chat, phone or open a map of the address.
Google DocsCreate, edit, upload and share your documents with the Google Docs app.
Create, edit, upload and share your docs from your phone with the Google Docs app:
* Designed for Android to save you time finding your docs
* Edits to your documents appear to collaborators in seconds
* Make quick changes to spreadsheets
* View your documents, PDFs, images and more.
* Upload and convert files to the Google Docs format
* Take a photo of printed text and convert it to a Google document
* Share docs with your phone’s contacts
Google ReaderFollow all your favorite sites, blogs, and more, all in one place. See what your friends are colleagues, and easily share any interesting articles you read. The Google Reader app syncs with the web version, so all your reading lists are always up to date. I've organized my technology watch, my market watch and other reading list in it.
The application simply displays your colleagues, their pictures, and their online status via a green bubble for online and a red bubble for offline, along with any away messages they choose to display. If you've used it in gmail, you are probably well aware of these settings. While the top area is left open for you to add your own away/status message.
The interface is simplistic in its design yet 100% functional and completely useful, exactly what you want on a Mobile application.
| ||Google Contacts are completely in sync with Google Contacts used in Gmail or Google Calendar. I personally have 1000+ contacts in Android. No more headache of having to manage multiple lists of contacts.|
Google Maps comes with a free navigation software, that is very similar to any GPS software, but displays images such as the one from Google Earth (3D navigation on a picture of the landscape !)
Google Translate listen to your voice and translate what you said in 50 languages
Google Calendar really syncs with your CevApps calendar
Pictures can be uploaded to your CevApps Picasa account